Brentwood’s Roberto Clemente Park is set to reopen Monday morning, Islip Town officials said.
The park has been closed since April 2014 when county officials discovered that more than 40,000 tons of contaminated construction debris had been illegally dumped there.
Town spokeswoman Caroline Smith on Saturday afternoon said residents will be able to use the park’s new multipurpose field, and refurbished basketball courts, playground, picnic area and baseball field.
“We are looking forward to this new chapter for Roberto Clemente Park and our Islip community,” Smith said in an email.
The park is scheduled to open at about 8 a.m., she said.
The toxin-laden construction materials were removed by the town in summer 2015 at a cost of more than $4 million.
Residents and political candidates have expressed frustrations over the past several months that the community has gone without its largest public park for so long, and that it wasn’t open for the start of this summer, as town officials had promised.
click here to read more.