Brentwood’s Roberto Clemente Park — shuttered for more than three years after the discovery of contaminated materials dumped there — is set to reopen Monday morning, Islip Town officials said.
The park has been closed since April 2014, when county officials discovered that more than 40,000 tons of contaminated construction debris had been illegally dumped there.
The park is scheduled to open at about 8 a.m., town spokeswoman Caroline Smith has said.
Residents and political candidates have expressed frustrations over the past several months that the community has gone without its largest public park for so long, and that it wasn’t open for the start of this summer, as town officials had promised.
Several residents expressed a range of feelings Sunday about the park’s reopening.
“I’m so happy,” said Elizabeth Santana, 46, staring across the street at the padlocked, empty expanse of green. “Everybody [is] happy.”
click here to read more.